Adventures in bargain hunting

Adventures in bargain hunting and creating style from 'drek'

Sunday, March 25, 2012

tiny kitchen makeover - part 1

OK so you saw the post about painting the cabinets white. I was reading my Better Homes & Gardens magazine and every blurb and picture in there seemed to concur that white with white opens up small spaces, the more light the better.

Naturally, I had to paint something - again! A couple years ago, my husband and I made a mosaic tile back splash in our kitchen. Tiling is actually very simple, cutting tile seems to be the scariest part. I used 1 x 1inch tiles so cutting them was simple with a handheld tile cutter. The tiles were green and brown earthy tones since I thought that was a neutral...I was wrong. Check this out:
If you are thinking of doing the same, they sell 1 x 1 foot mosaic tile sheets connected with netting on the back.
Pretty... but my colors are now blues with Earth tones. I painted this in the same way I did the bathroom counter - white primer all around.
Tip- use a travel bar soap holder for small rollers!

Of course I taped off the counters and removed the face plates. I used a sponge roller and did about 3-4 coats and touch ups. I let it dry for at least 4 hours.

I decided to add some blue tiles randomly for some color and 3 dimensional effect. Luckily I was able to find this perfect little package of blue tiles at Micheal's for $4.99 and the color was pretty close to what I have on a couple of walls in my house.
I added the tiniest bit of Gorilla Glue and just started popping them around the back splash (yes, I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to attach these, but I was not going out to the store again!).
Ta-Da! Updated and bright :-) I love it! So does the hubs!

Here's your totals breakdown:
Quart of Primer - $13.92
Tiles - $4.99
Sponge roller - $1.00 (seriously!)
Total: $19.91

Next I am planning to open up some shelving, another cool tip I got from Better Homes and Gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment