Adventures in bargain hunting

Adventures in bargain hunting and creating style from 'drek'

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Splinters in my Skirt/Headboard Project

The first project I am sharing is a home made headboard. I have been seeing many tutorials on Pinterest like this DIY tufted headboard from ApartmentTherapy.com and a very clever idea for one using wallpaper and molding from StyleAtHome.com. I have wanted one for years and they retail anywhere from $150-$500+ depending where you shop. I know people who re-upholster their furniture themselves and thought "I can do it"!

I decided to go with a similar take on an upholstered headboard with nail head detail that I "re-pinned" from someone: Isabella And Max Rooms Blog This particular blogger decided to make a wall out of it which I personally think came out beautifully and the fabric was awesome! I, however, did not have the energy or the space to build one so large.

My bed is a queen size so I needed a piece of plywood the size of 62"x40". You can choose whatever you want as the standard size of wood is 4'x8'. I got mine at Home Depot and it was approximately $13. They will cut it for free. The guy in the lumber department with a beard and a neck tattoo was honestly one of the most pleasant people I have ever come into contact with. He thought what I was doing was super cool and got really into it and was brainstorming with me. I'm pretty sure the old salty dudes waiting to get their lumber cut were not as pleased with my fun project; seeing as I wheeled the big metal cart out with my skirt and looked like I had no idea what I was doing. (I was not expecting to be next to Home Depot this day, otherwise I would have changed clothes). Either way, I was glad it was a long skirt because I ended up with splinters all throughout my front side as I wrestled my lumber into the back of my Escape.

OK. To start you will need: plywood (I read that you should not use particle board as the chemicals used are still present for a while; if you do use particle board, seal it with polyurithene), staple gun (does not need to be motorized), measuring tape, carpet padding.

Cut to the next day: purchased carpet padding from Lowe's as they had better prices on that than Home Depot at 48 cents per square foot (HD doesn't sell per sq ft) total: about $8.
Bought batting at a fabric store, then got a call from my mom who was cleaning out her linen closet; yes, please bring me my old pink velour twin sized blanket so I may salvage it and use it for more padding on the headboard project! Batting: $9.99. Old blanket: free! Making that return tomorrow. Thanks mom!
Cut 2 layers of carpet padding approximately 2 inches inside the perimeter of the plywood (or however far you would like). Staple the first layer in place about every 6 inches, then attach the second layer with staples.
Next I folded the blanket in half (even cushier!) and covered the whole thing evenly. Stapled about 3-4 staples along the outside of the board to keep blanket in place (don't worry, nobody will see this once it's finished). Pull the blanket tightly across working one side at a time with the staple gun. Pull it around the back and staple it into place.
back side
front side












Next iron your fabric. I found some awesome micro suede neutral colored upholstery fabric in the back of Joann's on clearance. Original price: $15.99 per yard. Clearance price: $9 per yard! I only needed 2 yards for this as the width of the fabric was 58 inches and I only needed about 46. Staple the top or bottom of the fabric to the back of the board so you can have a baseline and then it won't move when you start hammering in the decorative nail heads.

 That's as far as I got tonight... tune in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment